Executive Assistant to the President Job Vacancy In Liberia Opening In December 2018
Executive Assistant to the President (EAP) of the UNIVERSITY OF LIBERIA
The Executive Assistant to the President (EAP) reports directly to the president and provides executive-level support to the president. Appointed by the President, the EAP is responsible for a broad and complex set of assignments related to the duties of the President. She/he relieves the President of operational and administrative details and performs administrative functions that require a thorough knowledge of University policies, procedures, and operations and an understanding of the University’s role within Liberia. The EAP provides administrative support for all presidential activities acting on behalf of the President and the University in a manner that reflects the President’s priorities and the University’s vision, mission, goals and values. The EAP demonstrates commitment to continuous quality improvement and to providing outstanding service to a variety of internal and external University stakeholders (Board of Trustees, senior administrators, public and private officials, the media, students, and parents), and maintaining an overall standard of excellence for the staff in the Office of the President. The EAP exercises initiative and independent judgment in managing the President’s schedule and the office’s daily activities. The EAP uses discretion in the dissemination of information to faculty, students, staff and various public entities served by the University, and coordinates activities with several major administrative units of the University. The Executive Assistant to the President is committed to unquestioned integrity and trustworthiness.
Duties and Responsibilities:
The EAP has responsibility for the coordination of meetings, logistics, correspondence, advance preparation of materials, follow-up activities related to University business, coordination of activities directly related to the President’s staff and working with members of the cabinet (senior administrative team) in the
execution of key university initiatives. The EAP works with members of the President’s staff to prepare materials necessary for the President to fulfill her/his duties, including research and drafts for major talks and appearances, budget proposals, annual reports, and assists in preparing the President to fulfill these roles. The EAP serves as assistant and advisor to the President on a variety of matters; represents the President at events, activities, meetings and to constituent groups as required; and assists with and manages communications between the President and the faculty, staff and students of the university and outside groups. Additional responsibilities include, but are not limited to the following:
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Facilitates efficient utilization of the President’s time working with the Administrative Secretary, through development and coordination of a complex calendar of appointments, meetings, social engagements, and University and community functions with individuals and groups.
- Promotes a positive image of the University by greeting and receiving visitors to the President’s office, responding to inquiries from diverse University public entities (e.g., students, parents, faculty, staff, legislators, alumni, the media, and public and private officials), providing authoritative information regarding University policies or decisions, referring inquiries or problems to the appropriate office or person, resolving problems, and following up to determine the inquirer’s satisfaction with the response.
- Serves as a liaison between the President and other University administrators, public and private officials, various boards, faculty, staff, students, and various public entities served by the University by communicating and/or interpreting policy, decisions, and documents issued by University, gathering information and providing information to the President, and representing the President’s Office on select University and civic committees.
- Safeguards the confidentiality of University administration by exercising discretion in communicating information to faculty, students, staff and the various public entities served by the University and in handling administrative records, files, and similar confidential items.
- Coordinates the flow of incoming communications and outgoing communications by receiving, routing, and/or responding to incoming communications and determining the appropriate office, department, or agency for outgoing communications;
- Assists the President in oversight functions by reviewing, monitoring, and approving University personnel action forms and reviewing correspondence and documents prepared by other offices for the president’s signature.
- Serves as event coordinator for various functions of the President’s Office.
- Facilitates the work of the Office of the President
- Provides information for reports and records through research, data retrieval, compiling and/or tabulating statistics, and organizing and presenting the information in useable and understandable formats.
- Prepares correspondence for distribution or approval and signature, checking the documents for completeness and accuracy.
- Assists with development and management of the budgets under control of the President’s Office by maintaining budget records, reconciling and verifying vouchers and receipts for accuracy, producing financial reports and summaries, approving expenditures, completing budget transfers, and verifying and approving all international travel for the University.
- Facilitates the success of events hosted by the President’s office by working with Protocol in scheduling events with appropriate offices and agencies, advising/contacting participants or invited guests, preparing agendas and programs, arranging for audiovisual and associated support equipment, using independent judgment regarding event alternatives, modifications, or last-minute changes, and coordinating or providing support during the events.
- Performs records management by overseeing the filing system, creating files and records as necessary using judgment and knowledge of office requirements, updating files and records, determining retention and purging schedules, and retrieving files and documents as needed.
- Contributes to a work environment that encourages knowledge of, respect for, and development of skills to engage with those of other cultures or backgrounds.
- Remains competent and current through self-directed professional reading, developing professional relationships with colleagues, attending professional development seminars, and attending training and/or courses as required by the President.
- Contributes to the overall success of the University by performing other essential duties and responsibilities as assigned.
Requires Bachelor’s degree; Master’s or Ph.D. degree preferred.
Requires at least five years of relevant experience in a complex organization. The Executive Assistant to the President must have a proven track record of management in an executive environment. Requires an understanding of all entities within the
University of Liberia or a university setting, with demonstrated experience consulting and advising senior-level executives.
Skills: Excellent verbal, written, and communication skills are required; i.e., the ability to communicate effectively verbally and through written correspondence as well as in communicating with individuals in one-on-one situations. A precise command of grammar, punctuation, spelling, and the correct usage of the English language is required. Attention to detail is required. Adeptness with multitasking is required. Computer literacy is required and includes proficiency with word processing, spreadsheets, and presentation software. Excellent organizational skills are required. Must be able to work independently, use initiative, and make substantive decisions quickly. The ability to develop knowledge of, respect for, and skills to engage with those of varied backgrounds is required.
How to apply:
The application should include (1) a letter describing qualifications and highlighting leadership experiences relevant to the position.
Current curriculum vitae Professional writing example, and
The names, current position titles, addressed, telephone numbers and e-mail addressed of at least four references. Application deadlines: please send all applications electronically to:
To be assured full consideration, applications must be received by November 7, 2018 to December 7, 2018 position remain open until filled.