How to Get a Job With No Experience
Breaking into an industry or switching to a new field requires you to earn an entry-level job where you can improve your qualifications. Getting hired into a brand new field requires confidence and drive; however, most people are unaware of all the skills and qualifications they can transfer to the workplace. Learn how to get a job with no experience.
Part One: Begin Volunteering
- Identify the job or industry that you would like to work in.
- Choose your ideal job in that industry. Then, research the path that most people take to get to that ideal job, using 2 or 3 different positions.
- Apply for internships, paid or unpaid. Look on major job search engines, Craigslist and company websites. Begin an internship as soon as possible.
- Start volunteering. If you are unable to get an internship, you should volunteer with the organization on evenings or weekends. Obtaining a volunteer position can be easier than getting an internship with a stipend or college credit. In some industries, such as the non-profit sector and the health industry, volunteering can be as valuable as an internship. Once you begin to volunteer, ask to take on more responsibility or lead an initiative.
- Work at an internship or volunteer post until you get a job. The longer you work in the industry, the better. Many people begin volunteering after their first year of training, so that they can gain industry knowledge and determine if it is the right field for them.
Part Two: Identify Skills
- Take out a sheet of paper. List all of the skills that are valuable to a worker in general and a worker in your field.
List all of your computer skills. This can include working with Windows and Mac operating systems, typing over 60 words per minute, proficiency with PowerPoint or other Microsoft Office programs, web programming, blogging, content management systems, databases, graphic design and more. If you don’t have any computer skills, take free or low-cost courses at your local library and add the training to your skills list.